Sorry I have forgot to tell you Sep 3, 2020

景德镇 is just a place name.
And the sentences were read from right to left,
根是泥中玉
心承露下珠
written from right to left :
玉 中 泥 是 根
珠 下 露 承 玉
You will find now it easy to connect every ideogramm to the character I write here.
btw.
辛卯年作 于 景德镇
sould be
辛卯年作 於 景德镇
於 is traditional, and 于 is simplified, they have the same meaning: at

David Lin

David Lin
David Lin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:03
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Tang poem and tea pot Sep 3, 2020

Hi Christophe (and the Chinese Forum Friends who have contributed to this post),

How interesting the questions are and the sharing of info on the teapot owned by a French mother! Allow me to join in the discussion and share a little info about the poem I got from a tea ware museum in East Asia.

The poem inscribed on your mother's teapot is actually a Tang poem (618-907), authored by Li Qun Yu (李�
... See more
Hi Christophe (and the Chinese Forum Friends who have contributed to this post),

How interesting the questions are and the sharing of info on the teapot owned by a French mother! Allow me to join in the discussion and share a little info about the poem I got from a tea ware museum in East Asia.

The poem inscribed on your mother's teapot is actually a Tang poem (618-907), authored by Li Qun Yu (李群玉)。

"根是泥中玉, 心承露下珠" is the first half of the four-lined Tang poem. It's always hard to translate ancient Chinese poems but let's see the English translation by Hong Kong's Museum of Tea Ware (香港茶具文物館) which is as follows:

"Its roots are like jade, unsullied by mud, like pearls are the dewdrops, caught on its heart-shaped leaves."

http://blog.udn.com/cty43115/7521909

The second half of the Tang poem which is not used in the teapot is as follows:

"在君塘下種,埋沒任春蒲。"

Inscribing poems on china products became popular at the china mecca, Jingdezhen 景德鎮, since early Qing Dynasty (about 1644 - 1912)when then Emperor Kangxi 康熙皇帝 (1654-1722)commissioned Jingdezhen to develop new designs for china products, hence the Twelve cups in wucai enamels representing the Flowers of the Months (五彩十二花神杯) (see the museum link above).

I can imagine your mom's teapot decor style could be adopted from that period of Emperor Kangxi. I strongly suggest you get a antique valuator in France to assess its genuineness. This will help you get a rough idea how much this apparent Qing dynasty china would cost today (could be a lot if it was genuine, besides the sentimental value between you and your mom.)

I'm curious about the tiny stamp at the far left bottom corner of the Chinese characters next to 景德鎮. Your photo wasn't clear enough to show it. If clear it might shed more light even the creator of the teapot.

David
Collapse

Christophe Delaunay
Christophe Delaunay  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:03
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ David Jun 8, 2021

Sorry for the late answer due to various technical problems....

Here is the picture you asked for at the time:

(hope this will work, quite tricky no handle images now)

I don't think this tiny teapot is worth anything. I bought it 4-5 years ago during a quick trip in Taiwan.

Thank you for the additional information.

Christophe

David Lin
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Still unclear Jun 16, 2021

Hi Christophe,

It's ok. Thanks for trying. Technology isn't easy to handle sometimes. It's still not clear enough to see it, unfortunately.

Anyway, if bought from Taipei, it might be just one of those oriental products which were made for western customers, but I must say your's a good choice. The Chinese calligraphy on the teapot and the blue colour is a good choice. Looks really nice even for just decoration purpose.

Enjoy the warm sunny summer in Europ
... See more
Hi Christophe,

It's ok. Thanks for trying. Technology isn't easy to handle sometimes. It's still not clear enough to see it, unfortunately.

Anyway, if bought from Taipei, it might be just one of those oriental products which were made for western customers, but I must say your's a good choice. The Chinese calligraphy on the teapot and the blue colour is a good choice. Looks really nice even for just decoration purpose.

Enjoy the warm sunny summer in Europe as Covid gets under control a little bit.

David

Christophe Delaunay wrote:

Sorry for the late answer due to various technical problems....

Here is the picture you asked for at the time:

(hope this will work, quite tricky no handle images now)

I don't think this tiny teapot is worth anything. I bought it 4-5 years ago during a quick trip in Taiwan.

Thank you for the additional information.

Christophe
Collapse

selinachang
selinachang
Australia
Calligraphy Jun 18, 2021

Good to read the previous discussion.
After practising traditional Chinese calligraphy for nearly 10 years, I would say those Chinese characters on the teapots are really nice.

David Lin

David Lin
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Welcome to the Chinese Forum! Jun 28, 2021

Dear Selina,

Let me extend to you my warmest welcome to the Chinese Forum ! Our views on the teapot's calligraphy were almost identical. I'm also fond of Chinese calligraphy and have been practicing my favourite 行草书 for almost nearly 10 years (looks the teapot has the same style). I began to learn 草书 from an old master from China before Covid lockdown in the UK, but unfortunately he passed away after getting
... See more
Dear Selina,

Let me extend to you my warmest welcome to the Chinese Forum ! Our views on the teapot's calligraphy were almost identical. I'm also fond of Chinese calligraphy and have been practicing my favourite 行草书 for almost nearly 10 years (looks the teapot has the same style). I began to learn 草书 from an old master from China before Covid lockdown in the UK, but unfortunately he passed away after getting Covid-19 mid last year. Very sad!

We've a few other members from Australia too. I hope you could come here often and share your experiences of translation/interpreting and other oriental interests with us.

Regards.

David

selinachang wrote:

Good to read the previous discussion.
After practising traditional Chinese calligraphy for nearly 10 years, I would say those Chinese characters on the teapots are really nice.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Inscription under a chinese teapot

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »