QA Tool?
Thread poster: Suzanne Chabot
Suzanne Chabot
Suzanne Chabot
Local time: 06:50
Arabic to French
Jan 11, 2020

Hello

I am looking for a free QA tool. I read about Translate5 but I really don't know how to use it. I am not good with computers.

Can someone recommend me something good?

Thank you so much for all your help

Regards

Suzanne

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:50
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Suzanne Jan 11, 2020

Suzanne Chabot wrote:
I am looking for a free QA tool.

What do you want the QA tool to do? Or, what do you want to do with it?

I read about Translate5, but I really don't know how to use it.

As far as I can tell, Translate5 is more of a translation project management tool combined with a built-in translation environment (online CAT tool) and not a QA tool, although it may have some QA related features (as do most other CAT tools as well).

https://confluence.translate5.net/display/TFD/Overview%20of%20features

Suzanne Chabot
Suzanne Chabot
Arabic to French
TOPIC STARTER
Translator Tool box book reference Jan 11, 2020

Hello,

I just found this name in the Translator Tool Box book at the section about QA and I went to the website but I do not understand how it works. That is why I am asking...

I tried Xbench before for free, I liked it, but I cannot afford to pay for it. I would like a free tool.

Does someone know about a free QA tool?

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
? Jan 12, 2020

Suzanne, you specified
Software SDL TRADOS
, so why don't you like the built-in CAT check? They both verify almost* the same types of mistakes.

Furthermore--
Is Xbench 2.9 really free of charge?
Yes, Xbench 2.9 can be used free of charge. The Xbench 3.0 licensing program does not apply to Xbench 2.9.

Suzanne Chabot
expressisverbis

Suzanne Chabot
Suzanne Chabot
Arabic to French
TOPIC STARTER
Good to know Jan 12, 2020

Hello,

It is good to know that we can use Xbench for free, thank you very much. I will definitively give it a try.

Concerning Trados Studio, I tried it and I disliked it. I hope they will enhance their QA in the future.

Have all a great day

Regards
Suzanne

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
The free version of XBench is non-Unicode Jan 12, 2020

The free version (2.9) does not support Unicode.

Therefore, I'm not sure Arabic is supported… Of course, it does not hurt to try.

Another free QA tool is CheckMate: http://okapiframework.org/wiki/index.php?title=CheckMate

expressisverbis
Suzanne Chabot

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:50
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Suzanne Jan 14, 2020

Suzanne Chabot wrote:
I just found this name in the Translator Tool Box book at the section about QA...

I just had a look at that section in the book, and I see that this section is about active QA, as opposed to passive QA. Often, when translators speak of "a QA tool" (such as Xbench), they mean a passive tool, i.e. the tool does all the QA checks itself, and simply presents the translator with a report that shows all the flags, and then it's up to the translator to check which flags are actual errors. Active QA is when a human manually categorizes errors by type and severity, and recommends edits.

According to the book, Translate5 is one of the translation environments that support the MQM method of active QA. The tool makes it somewhat easier for reviewers to gather errors and enter them into the [L]QA report. A tool like this is not useful for a freelance translator unless the translator has been asked by a client to perform such a QA task, and clients who commission such tasks typically have established LQA methods in place, so you won't be able to use the LQA capabilities of a separate tool anyway.

Suzanne Chabot

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

QA Tool?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »