Translation memories: how to create a B-to-C TM based on A-to-B, A-to-C TMs?
Thread poster: Dawid Kita
Dawid Kita
Dawid Kita  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:14
English to Polish
Jul 11, 2018

Hi,

Hope everyone is doing great!

I would like to bring to your attention the issue that I am currently facing, i.e. the alignment of multiple translation memories with multiple languages.
I have 2 TMs with the same source language and two different target languages; however, I need to create a TM directly between these target languages.

Here are the facts:
1. For a long time, I've had a source language (language "A"), which has been translated
... See more
Hi,

Hope everyone is doing great!

I would like to bring to your attention the issue that I am currently facing, i.e. the alignment of multiple translation memories with multiple languages.
I have 2 TMs with the same source language and two different target languages; however, I need to create a TM directly between these target languages.

Here are the facts:
1. For a long time, I've had a source language (language "A"), which has been translated into the languages B and C.
2. As such, I have the following translation memories:
- A to B,
- A to C.
3. Now, the source language was switched from the language A into the language B.
4. As such, I need to create the following translation memories:
- B to A.
- B to C.

How could I do it?

Of course – let's assume that the translations are 100% correct and the content will not be lost/distorted if I switch the source language from A to B.

-----------------------
Removing the placeholders and illustrating it on an example: I have both Italian-to-English and Italian-to-Polish translation memories (which contain the same content), but now I need to create a direct English-to-Polish translation memory.

How could I do it?

Any hints, any pieces of advice, any solutions will be of a great value for me. Thank you in advance!

Best regards,
Dawid.
Collapse

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
Export bi-text from TMX and align new language pair Jul 11, 2018

David K. wrote:

How could I do it?

My way:

1. Export (extract / convert) each TMX into TXT bi-text. In Xbench, your CAT tool or other tool you use.

2. Delete IT columns in IT-EN and IT-PL bi-texts. I will use AlignEdit, tool in a folder "other_tools" in LF-Aligner.

3. Align your new TMX EN-PL from separate EN and PL files. I will use LF-Aligner.

Another way in OmegaT and in DGT-OmegaT you can use your two TMX without creating the new TMX.

http://omegat.sourceforge.net/manual-standard/en/chapter.translation.memories.html#using.translation.memories.from.previous.projects

Here is full citation of 2.4. sub-chapter:

2.4. Using TMX with alternative language pairs

There may be cases where you have done a project with e.g. Dutch sources, and a translation in say English. Then you need a translation in e.g. Chinese, but your translator does not understand Dutch; she, however, understands perfectly English. In this case, the NL-EN translation memory can serve as a go-between to help generate NL to ZH translation.

The solution in our example is to copy the existing translation memory into the tm/tmx2source/ subfolder and rename it to ZH_CN.tmx to indicate the target language of the tmx. The translator will be shown English translations for source segments in Dutch and use them to create the Chinese translation.

Important: the supporting TMX must be renamed XX_YY.tmx, where XX_YY is the target language of the tmx, for instance to ZH_CN.tmx in the example above. The project and TMX source languages should of course be identical - NL in our example. Note that only one TMX for a given language pair is possible, so if several translation memories should be involved, you will need to merge them all into the XX_YY.tmx.

Milan

[Edited at 2018-07-11 20:24 GMT]

Jorge Payan

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
Cross-language import in MetaTexis Jul 12, 2018

Since 2010 is in MetaTexis a feature "cross-language import"

http://www.metatexis.net/manual/default.htm

Version 2.6
• New innovative options and functions to further increase translation efficiency: Use TM as TDB, Use TDB as TM, language chain search, cross-language import

The new version is 3.23
... See more
Since 2010 is in MetaTexis a feature "cross-language import"

http://www.metatexis.net/manual/default.htm

Version 2.6
• New innovative options and functions to further increase translation efficiency: Use TM as TDB, Use TDB as TM, language chain search, cross-language import

The new version is 3.23 - 31/03/2018.

http://www.metatexis.net/

Milan
Collapse

Dawid Kita
Dawid Kita  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
Comment on Milan's comments Jul 12, 2018

Hi, Milan.

Some impressive help here. Thank you for both of the messages.

Look, I didn't comment till you made a second post - it seems like I'll need a bit of time to familiarize myself well with the mentioned software so I can do it properly. For now, I've been on it for a couple of hours today but I've been running into some side-issues along the way, e.g. alignment issue (I mentioned that my memories have the same content, but in fact the memories only match the sam
... See more
Hi, Milan.

Some impressive help here. Thank you for both of the messages.

Look, I didn't comment till you made a second post - it seems like I'll need a bit of time to familiarize myself well with the mentioned software so I can do it properly. For now, I've been on it for a couple of hours today but I've been running into some side-issues along the way, e.g. alignment issue (I mentioned that my memories have the same content, but in fact the memories only match the same content to some extent - one memory has ~20k translation units, while the other ~7k units so, ideally, it should leave me ~13k empty rows with no match).

I need to admit I'm a newbie when it comes to aligning memories, so I might need more time to figure it out.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation memories: how to create a B-to-C TM based on A-to-B, A-to-C TMs?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »