How to make CafeTran automatically fill target box with MT results (without having click on them)
Thread poster: Vasyl Matviichuk
Vasyl Matviichuk
Vasyl Matviichuk  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:22
French to Russian
+ ...
Jan 28, 2021

Hello everyone,

I am writing to request your help because I cannot solve the problem myself. Research that I did here and on the internet didn't really help, and I am still stuck. Sorry, if this question was already addressed elsewhere, but I just can't find the answer.

I use CafeTran Espresso 10.8.1 Cornetto. And would like to have the target box automatically filled with MT result. Right now, I have to click on the MT result in the Matchbox to put it into the target b
... See more
Hello everyone,

I am writing to request your help because I cannot solve the problem myself. Research that I did here and on the internet didn't really help, and I am still stuck. Sorry, if this question was already addressed elsewhere, but I just can't find the answer.

I use CafeTran Espresso 10.8.1 Cornetto. And would like to have the target box automatically filled with MT result. Right now, I have to click on the MT result in the Matchbox to put it into the target box. That is very impractical and annoying, and takes a lot of time. As said previously, I just cannot find the right option to have it done automatically. I tried playing with preferences and ticking in Preference//Auto-Assembling the "Automatic insertion of matches" checkbox. This gives the target box filled with the text from the source box, which is not the desired outcome.

Did anyone have the same problem? Please help.

Best regards,
Vasyl
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:22
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Risky Jan 28, 2021

Vasyl Matviichuk wrote:

....That is very impractical and annoying, and takes a lot of time

Maybe so, but it would be risky to just let CTE autofill all the segments - because there may be small differences between what it remembers (from the TM) and what the source text actually says.

I've been experiencing this myself, recently, translating a large technical document where the paragraphs *seem* identical - except that there are one or two words in each segment that are completely different. Missing those small changes could make the translation into a nonsense. That's why I think it's always a good idea to check each segment.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Some inputs. Jan 28, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

Vasyl Matviichuk wrote:

Maybe so, but it would be risky to just let CTE autofill all the segments - because there may be small differences between what it remembers (from the TM) and what the source text actually says.

I've been experiencing this myself, recently, translating a large technical document where the paragraphs *seem* identical - except that there are one or two words in each segment that are completely different. Missing those small changes could make the translation into a nonsense. That's why I think it's always a good idea to check each segment.

I don't use and am not familiar with CafeTran. However, in Trados what you said is automatically detected by Trados as a difference showing % of match or the segment is in a different color if there are slight differences even in one word that you described. Not possible to happen in Trados if you read % on segments or follow the segment color.

Tom in London
Alex Ossa

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Right-click inside the specific MT service tab Jan 28, 2021

Hello Vasyl,

You can enable the "Automatic transfer to target segments" option in the context menu of the MT engine tab you wish to have automatically transferred to empty target segments.

To bring up the context menu, just right click *inside* the tab of the MT service you
... See more
Hello Vasyl,

You can enable the "Automatic transfer to target segments" option in the context menu of the MT engine tab you wish to have automatically transferred to empty target segments.

To bring up the context menu, just right click *inside* the tab of the MT service you want to use.

Reference: https://github.com/idimitriadis0/TheCafeTranFiles/wiki/2-Menu-and-Interface#mt-engines-context-menu

Edit: The above is for the API version, not the web version.

[Edited at 2021-01-28 16:07 GMT]
Collapse

Vasyl Matviichuk
Hans Lenting

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:22
Member (2008)
Italian to English
:) Jan 28, 2021

Lingua 5B wrote:

..... Not possible to happen in Trados if you read % on segments or follow the segment color.

Yes- that happens with CTE too, but I haven't figured out how it works yet

Vasyl Matviichuk
France
French to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the response Jan 29, 2021

Tom in London wrote:

Vasyl Matviichuk wrote:

Thank you for the response, but I my question is about just filling the MT result in the target box, not about the TM data showing automatically in the target box. And even it was, if CafeTran prefills inexact matches without letting us now that matches are not 100% exact, that sounds like a serious reason for concern...

PS. I am new to CafeTran.

[Edited at 2021-01-29 15:03 GMT]

Vasyl Matviichuk
France
French to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jan 29, 2021

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

Hello Vasyl,

To bring up the context menu, just right click *inside* the tab of the MT service you want to use.

Reference: https://github.com/idimitriadis0/TheCafeTranFiles/wiki/2-Menu-and-Interface#mt-engines-context-menu

Thank you! It works!

Jean Dimitriadis

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
Fuzzy match Insert threshold Jan 30, 2021

For translation memories and the Auto-assembling feature, you can change the automatic "Fuzzy match/Auto-assembling insert threshold" in Edit (or CafeTran) > Preferences > Memory.

Any Fuzzy match or Auto-assembling result above the set threshold will be inserted into the target text box when you go to a segment with no target text.

The F1 key (Translate menu > List auto-assembling and fuzzy matches) lets you quickly compare the current segment source against the fuzzy m
... See more
For translation memories and the Auto-assembling feature, you can change the automatic "Fuzzy match/Auto-assembling insert threshold" in Edit (or CafeTran) > Preferences > Memory.

Any Fuzzy match or Auto-assembling result above the set threshold will be inserted into the target text box when you go to a segment with no target text.

The F1 key (Translate menu > List auto-assembling and fuzzy matches) lets you quickly compare the current segment source against the fuzzy match source, without having to view the TM tab.

[Edited at 2021-01-30 14:37 GMT]
Collapse

Hans Lenting

Vasyl Matviichuk
France
French to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Another question about CafeTran... Jan 31, 2021

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

The F1 key (Translate menu > List auto-assembling and fuzzy matches) lets you quickly compare the current segment source against the fuzzy match source, without having to view the TM tab.

[Edited at 2021-01-30 14:37 GMT]

Hello Jean,

It looks like you now a great deal about CafeTran. So, if you have a minute, here is another question that I would like to ask since it is surprisingly difficult to find the answer to this quite simple question.

Is there a way to make CafeTran use/react to CMD+Backspace the same way MacOS does, that is by proceeding to delete the whole line? So far it doesn't work in my CafeTran. It doesn't work at all. In the long run, it is very time and energy consuming, since I already have automatic reflexes and muscle memory that make me use this combination automatically without thinking. If there is a way, sharing it would be greatly appreciated, since it is very impractical to retrain myself to use Alt+Backspace for everything, especially seeing that Alt+Backspace deletes only one word at a time.

CafeTran 10.8.1 Cornetto
MacOS Big Sur 11.1

Thank you in advance.
Vasyl

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
Deleting to the end of the line Feb 1, 2021

Hi Vasyl,

I am afraid I don't have an answer to this one (I am on Linux)!

One solution would be to use the shortcut to select from the cursor position until the end of the line (I also don't know which one it is on a Mac, it's Shift+End here), then delete (with a simple Backspace/Delete).

If you want to delete until the end of the segment, there is a customizable shortcut called "Delete to the end of segment" (in Preferences > Keyboard shortcuts).
... See more
Hi Vasyl,

I am afraid I don't have an answer to this one (I am on Linux)!

One solution would be to use the shortcut to select from the cursor position until the end of the line (I also don't know which one it is on a Mac, it's Shift+End here), then delete (with a simple Backspace/Delete).

If you want to delete until the end of the segment, there is a customizable shortcut called "Delete to the end of segment" (in Preferences > Keyboard shortcuts).

I hope Mac users can chime in.

Can you please also specify which is the Look & Feel that you are currently using? You can check this under Preferences >Appearance. At least in the past, this had some incidence on the way keyboard shortcuts where behaving.

PS: To make it easier for other users to find a particular topic of interest in the future, I suggest you create separate threads
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
SOLVED Feb 1, 2021

Vasyl Matviichuk wrote:

Is there a way to make CafeTran use/react to CMD+Backspace the same way MacOS does, that is by proceeding to delete the whole line?

Answered here:

https://www.proz.com/forum/cafetran_support/349079-delete_to_start_of_segment_mac.html

Alex Ossa
Alex Ossa  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 11:22
Member (2017)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Just for empty segments? Apr 26, 2022

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

Hello Vasyl,

I'm having this issue but for transferring to existing segments. I have no issue with autopropagating to empty cells but I cannot seem to get it to autopropagate to filled cells (for proofreading large projects, for example). I assume (hope) this is a configuration issue but I don't know which setting is preventing autopropagating 100% matches in an existing (rather than new) project.

Update: after months of fiddling around without success, of course I found the configuration issue just a couple of hours after posting this 🤦‍♀️ Thanks!

[Edited at 2022-04-26 13:43 GMT]

Jean Dimitriadis
English to French
+ ...
Something different? Apr 26, 2022

Hello Alex,

If your solution was found in Preferences > Auto-propagation, I think it is safe to say yours is an entirely different topic, as here were were discussing automatically filling (empty) segments with MT suggestions.

Otherwise, could you please share your solution here? It could prevent others from fiddling around on the same topic

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to make CafeTran automatically fill target box with MT results (without having click on them)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »