Rox-Edling
Rox-Edling
Germany
Local time: 14:45
Spanish to German
+ ...
Sep 26, 2018

The new beta version of CafeTran has among others one new feature:

• ignoring short (fewer than 4 characters in length) upper-case words in spellcheck

This feature avoids that an user must add dozens of acronyms to his user dictionary. I am unsure if this is a clever idea, as typos in short uppercase words will then remain undetected, at least with the spellchecke... See more
  • The new beta version of CafeTran has among others one new feature:

• ignoring short (fewer than 4 characters in length) upper-case words in spellcheck

This feature avoids that an user must add dozens of acronyms to his user dictionary. I am unsure if this is a clever idea, as typos in short uppercase words will then remain undetected, at least with the spellchecker.

The pro opinion of this feature says:

• "there is far less work spotting any 3-letter upper-case spelling mistakes, not to mention low probability of making them, than adding such words to user's spell checker dictionary.
    • I don't remember seeing a spelling error in 3-letter upper case words in real texts

I won't repeat my arguments here, but I want a real feedback form colleague about their practice and routine work. Am I perhaps overestimating the negative effects of this feature?

What do you think? ▲ Collapse

•  
    DZiW (X)
    DZiW (X)
    Ukraine
    English to Russian
    + ...
    A user must? Sep 26, 2018

A user must add acronyms? While I prefer to work in MS Word via WordFast, enjoying built-in spellchecking/highlighting, I'm sure there're many people who either use only specific/approved glossaries or don't use them at all.

However, I would agree with you that many acronyms are less than five letters (let alone homographs!), what might compromise the consistency.

Rox-Edling
    Rox-Edling
    Germany
    Local time: 14:45
    Spanish to German
    + ...
    TOPIC STARTER
    ... in the meantime ... Oct 4, 2018

... this feature has been set to optional.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
    Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Newest feature - good or not good?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
    The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
    TM-Town
    Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »