Thread poster: Soledad Azcona
Soledad Azcona
Soledad Azcona  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 2, 2008

Hi all,

As you might know, ProZ.com has been localized into thirty (30) languages by teams of volunteers who receive promotion at the site as a compensation for their efforts.
Localization Teams are working currently to raise that number and have the site available in new languages.

What about having the site localized into Esperanto?

Sounds like an amazing thing to do to me! Any volunteers for this enterprise?

Kind regards,

... See more
Hi all,

As you might know, ProZ.com has been localized into thirty (30) languages by teams of volunteers who receive promotion at the site as a compensation for their efforts.
Localization Teams are working currently to raise that number and have the site available in new languages.

What about having the site localized into Esperanto?

Sounds like an amazing thing to do to me! Any volunteers for this enterprise?

Kind regards,

Soledad Azcona
ProZ.com Staff
Collapse

Craig Meulen
Craig Meulen  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:20
German to English
Size of commitment? Jan 17, 2008

Doesn't look like there are many here who can help

What sort of commitment are we talking about? How many hours' work, or how much text is there to localise? Can it be split into stages that make sense? In March I will have some time, until then I can't help much because I'm away from home.

Craig

Soledad Azcona
Brazil
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some details about the project Jan 17, 2008

Hi Craig,

Thanks for your answer.

The total amount of words to be translated for a release of the site in a language is of 44,372. The work is divided in 5 Phases that cover the main areas of the site.
This is a team effort -hopefully with 6 to 8 volunteers. Teams have generally one or two team leaders that coordinate coordinate the provision of strings to team members, collect translated strings,
... See more
Hi Craig,

Thanks for your answer.

The total amount of words to be translated for a release of the site in a language is of 44,372. The work is divided in 5 Phases that cover the main areas of the site.
This is a team effort -hopefully with 6 to 8 volunteers. Teams have generally one or two team leaders that coordinate coordinate the provision of strings to team members, collect translated strings, check them, and upload them to the site.

To compensate the teams for their efforts, site localizers are provided with promotion throughout ProZ.com once the language has been finished and released to the public. Specifically:

- For every 250 words translated or 750 words checked, a volunteer will receive one week of promotion. This promotion consists of the following:

1. Recognition in your profiles ("This translator helped to localize ProZ.com into Esperanto")

2. Team members will be listed, with photos and optional bios, on the localization team page for their language. Search engine optimized links will point to these localization team bios from most ProZ.com pages when viewed in that team's language.

3. Specifically, team leaders may receive added compensation depending on whether their release dates have been met. However, all team volunteers will receive a search engine optimized link to their profiles from the bottom of most ProZ.com pages when viewed in their language.

This promotion is significant, as it provides a substantial boost to the "page rank" of these translators' ProZ.com profiles in search engines such as Yahoo! and Google, resulting in an increase in client traffic. (ProZ.com's main pages have the highest page ranks in the industry, and these are inherited by pages we link to.)

4. In addition, team volunteers will receive browniz when their translated files are uploaded by the team leader or site staff (3 browniz for each word translated/1 brownie for each word proofread). These browniz may be used for a one time special promotion membership price once a language has been released publicly.

As it is volunteer work, full-time dedication is not expected, but of course there's an understood commitment form every translator in the team to translate a minimum amount of words for the project.

You may also find this article interesting http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/1128/

Having the site in Esperanto would be incredible. Hope we find more volunteers for the project!

Regards,

Soledad
Collapse

Yoana Yotova
Yoana Yotova
Local time: 11:20
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
I can help Apr 21, 2008

Haven't checked the forum lately so I just saw the thread...

If you still need volunteers, I can give a hand.

Soledad Azcona
Brazil
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You are welcome! Apr 22, 2008

Hi Yoana,

These are great news!
In fact you are the first volunteer, but once we get started I am sure new volunteers will come up

I will email you with some details about the localization interface and procedure.

Now that we are getting started, please so not hesitate to post here or contact me if you can help with this great project!

Kind regards,

Soledad

Dejan Škrebić
Dejan Škrebić  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 10:20
English to Serbian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Ankoraŭ unu Jul 24, 2009

Although I notice this is an old thread, I am interested. Please, do send me any information available.

Dejan Škrebić
Dejan Škrebić  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 10:20
English to Serbian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Still interested in Aug 31, 2009

A month passed I got no reply regarding this. Is there still any interest in Eperanto version?

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 05:20
SITE STAFF
Thanks Dejan! Aug 31, 2009

Hello Dejan,

My apologies for such a delay in reply here, and thanks very much for the offer to help!

To facilitate this somewhat, I have opened a support request in your name. You should receive an automatic notification of this with the link, or you can view it under the "My ProZ.com" tab, "My support requests". From there, staff will be able to help you get set up for the localization team. Thanks!

Best regards,

Jared

Alan Frankel
Alan Frankel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:20
German to English
I would consider helping, too. Jan 27, 2010

I added a support request to that effect.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Localization of ProZ.com into Esperanto

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »