Off topic: Hey guys, I am an English Arabic translator. Can I ask about the common rate for this pair?
Thread poster: Khaledaldghila
Khaledaldghila
Khaledaldghila  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 11:51
Arabic to English
+ ...
Dec 13, 2019

Hey guys, I am an English Arabic translator. Can I ask about the common rate for this pair?

Abdulrhim Ahmed

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 10:51
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
There probably is no common rate Dec 15, 2019

Khaled Aldghila wrote:
Hey guys, I am an English Arabic translator. Can I ask about the common rate for this pair?

Some countries frown on translators coordinating their rates. Also, a reasonable rate would depend on what country you live in, Scandinavia is in general a high cost area, while for instance India or Saudi Arabia would be more of a low cost area. Having the same rate for someone living in a Scandinavian country as for someone living in for instance Saudi Arabia, where the tax level is totally different, would, therefore, not be reasonable, since the cost of living is so different.

What I would suggest, is that you base your rate on what you feel is a reasonable income and try to convert that to a word rate. Take into account a reasonable yearly income, but remember that a freelancer has to cover expences that an employed person does not have to take into account, as for instance money for vacations or a future pension, try to estimate how many days it is reasonable to expect that you will have work in a year, and how many words you can expect to produce in a day.

To take myself as a Norwegian as an example (I am not working with Arabic), but I have a word rate such that my hourly rate (based on 300 English words per hour) is about 2 1/2 times what an employee would earn who earns a minimum rate in my country.

I hope the above will be at least some help for you to decide on a reasonable rate in your case.

Khaledaldghila
Abdulrhim Ahmed
Suzanne Chabot
Djilali NACEUR

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »