Resource: Guide to reading handwritten Arabic
Thread poster: Thomas_DC
Thomas_DC
Thomas_DC
Denmark
Mar 23, 2017

Hi everyone,

I'm not a translator, more of a language learning enthusiast. I've been working with learning Arabic for some time now, and have noticed the difficulty of reading the script when it's written by hand. There doesn't appear to be of Arabic handwriting resources out there (at least that I could find) so I tried to make one myself by comparing scans of Arabic handwriting to transcripts that I found online (there's an archive of scans along with their digitally written out c
... See more
Hi everyone,

I'm not a translator, more of a language learning enthusiast. I've been working with learning Arabic for some time now, and have noticed the difficulty of reading the script when it's written by hand. There doesn't appear to be of Arabic handwriting resources out there (at least that I could find) so I tried to make one myself by comparing scans of Arabic handwriting to transcripts that I found online (there's an archive of scans along with their digitally written out counter-parts here: http://khatt.ideas2serve.net/index.php">KHATT )

I know that everyone in here is a professional, but I thought that I'd share the article that I wrote up anyway. I'd like some feedback on it, and if you find it helpful, perhaps you'll pass it around to people who might have use of it.

Read handwritten Arabic
Collapse

TargamaT team
TargamaT team  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:50
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Thank you! Mar 24, 2017

It is really interesting work, thank you for that!

Children in the Middle East are strongly recommended to have a clear and nice handwritten script. However, not all of them will achieve this task and handwriting will take different forms, influenced by personal aptitude, teachers, level of education, and country uses...

An excellent example of handwritten Arabic script is digitized by my friend, the Yemeni calligrapher and typographer Sultan Maktari after Nizar Qabbani
... See more

Children in the Middle East are strongly recommended to have a clear and nice handwritten script. However, not all of them will achieve this task and handwriting will take different forms, influenced by personal aptitude, teachers, level of education, and country uses...

An excellent example of handwritten Arabic script is digitized by my friend, the Yemeni calligrapher and typographer Sultan Maktari after Nizar Qabbani handwritten script: http://sultanfonts.com/includes/fonts/sultanfonts-Nizar.htm
Collapse

Thomas_DC
Thomas_DC
Denmark
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, and feel free to share the article if you find it relevant. Mar 24, 2017

TargamaT wrote:

An excellent example of handwritten Arabic script is digitized by my friend, the Yemeni calligrapher and typographer Sultan Maktari after Nizar Qabbani handwritten script: http://sultanfonts.com/includes/fonts/sultanfonts-Nizar.htm

I'm glad you think so! You're very welcome. Please don't hesitate to pass the article around if you know someone who might find it useful. If you have any feedback or suggestions, I'd be happy to hear them.

Great script by the way. It looks like it incorporates many of the features you often see in handwritten Arabic scripts.

TargamaT team
TargamaT team  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:50
Member (2010)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Vinci Script Mar 28, 2017

You can have a look also:

http://www.typophage.com/vinci-script

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Resource: Guide to reading handwritten Arabic

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »