Introducing the Corner
Thread poster: Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
Local time: 14:57
ProZ.com team
Jan 23, 2020

Welcome to Andrew’s Corner. We’ve created this space as a new area within the Forum where we can discuss ideas around mindset, approaches and even philosophy as a freelancer, and as a place where there is no previous history.

I’ll be posting regularly – thoughts, musings, questions, challenges to the way we see ourselves and our profession. If the themes interest you, then by all means jump in, and I’ll look forward to sharing and interacting with you on a variety of issue
... See more
Welcome to Andrew’s Corner. We’ve created this space as a new area within the Forum where we can discuss ideas around mindset, approaches and even philosophy as a freelancer, and as a place where there is no previous history.

I’ll be posting regularly – thoughts, musings, questions, challenges to the way we see ourselves and our profession. If the themes interest you, then by all means jump in, and I’ll look forward to sharing and interacting with you on a variety of issues. And if not, well fair enough: not everything is of equal interest to everyone. Maybe these will be ideas you’ve often discussed before and have no wish to explore further – but for other people they might well be new, or even old ideas to which they would like to return.

Think of it as a café – a place where we come to exchange ideas in a sociable, relaxed way, rather than a debating society, or still less a boxing ring. It’s not about scoring points, but about sharing experience and learning from each other, whether we are newbies or have extensive experience.

Over the last nine months I’ve been active on social media. The ProZ.com Facebook group has leapt from 21,000 to 33,000 in that time, the Translation Mastermind is a healthy 1,400, and the LinkedIn (84,000 members) and Instagram (1,500 members) accounts have been revived along the way.

So now it’s time to make a small contribution here too.

Looking forward to some insight, discussion and broadening all our ideas with your help!
Collapse

Jasmina Towers
Mike Donlin
Maria-Bonita Kapitany
Elizabeth Tamblin
Janvier Ndayisaba
Laura Orsal

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 09:57
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks, Andrew! (For agreeing to share here, and for agreeing to the name) Jan 23, 2020

For those arriving here, many of you know that I am a big fan of Andrew's. I love the way he is able to share his experiences as a freelance translator in such a way that others may emulate and find similar success in their own circumstances.

Andrew is also great at bringing together groups and fostering communities, which I have noticed helps to give people more confidence to take steps in their freelance careers.

That's why we've carved out a space here at ProZ.com fo
... See more
For those arriving here, many of you know that I am a big fan of Andrew's. I love the way he is able to share his experiences as a freelance translator in such a way that others may emulate and find similar success in their own circumstances.

Andrew is also great at bringing together groups and fostering communities, which I have noticed helps to give people more confidence to take steps in their freelance careers.

That's why we've carved out a space here at ProZ.com for Andrew to do his thing. Naming it "Andrew's Corner" was my idea, thank you Andrew for agreeing to that!

In short: Welcome, Andrew!
Collapse

Maria-Bonita Kapitany
Elizabeth Tamblin

Andrew Morris
Andrew Morris
Local time: 14:57
ProZ.com team
TOPIC STARTER
My pleasure Jan 23, 2020

Henry Dotterer wrote:

That's why we've carved out a space here at ProZ.com for Andrew to do his thing. Naming it "Andrew's Corner" was my idea, thank you Andrew for agreeing to that!

I'll do my best to do what I enjoy doing most: trying to communicate ideas that people are free to agree or disagree with, as long as they think about it first and do so in a way that encourages rather than shuts down further debate. The more shades of opinion, the merrier!

And as for the community part... yes, looking forward to it. It needs the cooperation of everyone involved of course, but my aim is always to create spaces where people can have fun and reflect at the same time, and are able to contribute their own insights with confidence, curiosity and a dash of humour.

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:57
French to English
Looking forward to it Jan 23, 2020

Hope to have some interesting discussions here.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Introducing the Corner

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »