Is it worth moving from Wordfast Classic to Wordfast Pro?
Thread poster: Wordup (X)
Wordup (X)
Wordup (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 18, 2017

I've been using Wordfast Classic (WFC) for years and it's fine (though recently I have had a few anomalies that may or may not be related to me installing the hosted version of Microsoft Word 2016).
I'm wondering if it is worth moving to Wordfast Pro (WFP) - will it make me more productive? Is it complicated? Will it take me ages to learn to use it? Any other significant drawbacks or benefits? Is WFP 4 better than WFP 3.
Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Excel is a worry Apr 18, 2017

I only use Wordfast Classic at the moment. I learned it when I first became a translator, back in 2007 and I've never really needed anything else so I haven't changed. But I hear that Classic doesn't work with Excel files in some newer versions of Word. That's a bit of a cloud on the horizon for me as I do sometimes work on Excel files. I imagine the same is true of PowerPoint but I hate those files with a vengeance and normally refuse to touch them.

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:18
English to French
+ ...
tough choice Apr 18, 2017

Like you, I'm a WfC user through and through.

Although I occasionnally use WfP, I mostly use it to translate exotic file formats, by exporting an untranslated bilingual file into Word, translating it in WfC, re-importing it back into WfP and then exporting the translated file into its original format (see CATguru videos for details).

As to the differences between WfP 3 and 4, let me just say that, IMHO, WfP 4 is still very much a work in progress in terms of ergonomics.
... See more
Like you, I'm a WfC user through and through.

Although I occasionnally use WfP, I mostly use it to translate exotic file formats, by exporting an untranslated bilingual file into Word, translating it in WfC, re-importing it back into WfP and then exporting the translated file into its original format (see CATguru videos for details).

As to the differences between WfP 3 and 4, let me just say that, IMHO, WfP 4 is still very much a work in progress in terms of ergonomics. In particular, I find project management awful (projects being non-editable, a simple typo during a project creation process requires to start from scratch), the multiple sub-folders and myriad files created by the application just dead weight on the hard drive, and the hoops one has to go through to convert from WfC TMs and glossaries (and back) a huge pain in the neck.

Not that WfP3 is much better in this respect, just fewer hurdles to jump.
Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Why lock down? Apr 18, 2017

And why only WFP? There's a free (but online) WFA--and plenty other options both free and paid, online and offline, which cover almost whatever one might require.

Most Excel tables are easily converted as a plain txt and re-imported with no much fuss, the problem comes with complex/nested/multipage pivot tables, recurrent formulae, mixed info-graphics, and other stuff, which may turn out rather difficult even for good MS Office drafters, not to mention a showcase PowerPoint quacks.
... See more
And why only WFP? There's a free (but online) WFA--and plenty other options both free and paid, online and offline, which cover almost whatever one might require.

Most Excel tables are easily converted as a plain txt and re-imported with no much fuss, the problem comes with complex/nested/multipage pivot tables, recurrent formulae, mixed info-graphics, and other stuff, which may turn out rather difficult even for good MS Office drafters, not to mention a showcase PowerPoint quacks. If it's only about formats, then it's not really worth it, yet if it's about working with different formats as projects under different (cross-platform) OS in a native environment, then you may appreciate it:

1) WFC -or- WFP = €400;
2) WFC -and- WFP = €500.

Also check 'Group Buy' opt, but if you work with WF only, then sometimes it makes sense to check others to make the difference--up to your clients.
Collapse

Wordup (X)
Wordup (X)
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all for your comments Apr 19, 2017

Thank you all for your helpful comments.
I'm now thinking I'll just stick with WFC since I know it and understand the formats. And also try out WF Anywhere. It's amazing that it's free, especially as they undertake not to share your TM etc with anyone (usually on these "free" online services, your information is the "product" and what they are after!).
Thanks again.

[Edited at 2017-04-19 10:44 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it worth moving from Wordfast Classic to Wordfast Pro?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »