Lucia Messuti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 22:20
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 14, 2017

Hello Collegues,

is there anybody who knows Trello?
I was told it should be interesting to manage translation workflow, and the general work management.

I gave a look at it and tried to follow a webinar, but it seems very complicated.

Thanks
Lucia

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Jan 15, 2017

From the Wikipedia description, it appears to be a project management software, which might be useful if working on coordinating groups of translators. However, as a freelancer working on my own 90% of the time, I don't see how it could be anything but a waste of time and/or money, at least the way I work.

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 23:20
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
No Jan 15, 2017

One of our large clients uses it, but I see no profits from it for a small agency like us. Besides we are bombarded by notification emails for every move every team member of more than 20 languages has taken on Tello (asked a question pertinent to his language only or delivered a file), plus for every action of the Staff (say, somebody has delivered his language translation, so the Staff has removed him from the card dedicated to this file).

Uldis

[Edited at 2017-01-16 17:00
... See more
One of our large clients uses it, but I see no profits from it for a small agency like us. Besides we are bombarded by notification emails for every move every team member of more than 20 languages has taken on Tello (asked a question pertinent to his language only or delivered a file), plus for every action of the Staff (say, somebody has delivered his language translation, so the Staff has removed him from the card dedicated to this file).

Uldis

[Edited at 2017-01-16 17:00 GMT]
Collapse

Rossana Triaca
Rossana Triaca  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 18:20
English to Spanish
Two years later, I'm still using Trello Jan 16, 2017

Someone asked for a management software recommendation on May 2015 and I wrote a detailed post about my experience with Trello (found here). All this time later, I'm still using Trello with great results!

I found it worked very well when I was collaborating with a small team, and it's still great for a single freelancer (although I use it a lot less now
... See more
Someone asked for a management software recommendation on May 2015 and I wrote a detailed post about my experience with Trello (found here). All this time later, I'm still using Trello with great results!

I found it worked very well when I was collaborating with a small team, and it's still great for a single freelancer (although I use it a lot less now and only the basic features). It's really just a glorified pinboard with cards you shuffle around, but it merges well with what you're already using for email, calendar, note-taking, etc., so you end up actually *using it* and not gathering dust in the shelf of "well-meaning productivity tools" that you never got around to using.

With a simple board you can know at a glance what you have to do and what is coming up... you can also increase the complexity with power-ups, but I've always used the free version (only one power-up) and it's still more than enough for the volume of projects and tasks I manage (in addition to translation projects I particularly like automated repeated cards for recurring tasks that years ago would be done in a hurry at the last possible minute, like "Send end-of-month invoices", "File taxes", or "Pay the phone bill").

Since there's a perfectly usable free version, I'd encourage you to try it for a couple of weeks after watching some tutorials (but make sure the tutorials you watch are for solo freelancers so you don't end up swamped in possibilities and only use the basics at first).
Collapse

Lucia Messuti
Lucia Messuti  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe using the basics.... Jan 17, 2017

I've looked at the "mechanism" and it seems quite complicated.

I was told it is an interesting way to keep organized, but I don't find a way to start and to apply it to our workflow as freelancers.

Maybe I have to find a tutorial explaining the basic functions and how to get started.

I'll give a look at your link and try to find a tutorial. But for now, thanks for confirming it may be a good tool for our workflow.

Ben Senior
Ben Senior  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Multifarious blog post Jan 17, 2017

Paul Filkin did a blog post on Trello a while ago which explains Trello quite well. Here's the link: https://multifarious.filkin.com/2016/09/15/two-heads-are-better-than-one/

Ben

JaraM (X)
JaraM (X)
United Kingdom
one try Feb 13, 2017

I tried to use Trello at once, but for me it was too complicated. It seems that is good platform for a small group of users, but I personally wouldn't use it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trello

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »