Jessicaver (X)
Jessicaver (X)
France
Local time: 13:02
English to French
+ ...
Jun 18, 2015

Hi,

I would like to know how numerical data are localized in French as I noticed several versions.

For example: 10,000 km or $ 15,000 (English) would be localized as 10 000 km with the regular conventions as 10 000 km and 15 000 $ (French) ?

Thank you!

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 15:02
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Numerical Conventions, EN - TR Jun 20, 2015

It is very unfortunate that there are no universally accepted conventions about writing numerical data. This is a big issue when you try to translate between US English and Turkish, for example.

US English Convention:
10,000.0 km
$ 15,000.00

Turkish Convention:
10.000,0 km
15.000,00 $

I sincerely think that the above differences may lead to safety issues between countries. Personally, I prefer to stick with the US Eng
... See more
It is very unfortunate that there are no universally accepted conventions about writing numerical data. This is a big issue when you try to translate between US English and Turkish, for example.

US English Convention:
10,000.0 km
$ 15,000.00

Turkish Convention:
10.000,0 km
15.000,00 $

I sincerely think that the above differences may lead to safety issues between countries. Personally, I prefer to stick with the US English convention in my translations because doing it otherwise might be confusing for most people.
Collapse

Thomas Rebotier
Thomas Rebotier  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:02
English to French
Format nombres... Jun 21, 2015

Vers la fin de la page http://www.btb.termiumplus.gc.ca/redac-chap?lang=fra&lettr=chapsect2&info0=2

(Également valable pour le français de France)

D'autre part on utilise en général les codes devises iso, donc USD, pas $, sauf si c'est la même devise partout et qu'il n'y a pas d'ambiguité (USD? CAD?)

Jessicaver (X)
Jessicaver (X)
France
Local time: 13:02
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 21, 2015

Thank you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Localizing numerical data

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »